Friday, March 27, 2009

Should we have a choice...


So today in my class we learned about how boys become boys and girls become girls...very fascinating :) During part of the lecture though he said there are drugs that are currently being researched by the FDA that the mother can take to either kill off the female or male sperm so there is a guarantee of having whichever gender the parents want. When he told us about this, I was really bothered by it and I have been thinking about it since class and it just keeps bothering me. Should we have the power to choose if we want a boy or a girl child? To me it seems really 'The Giver'ish and I don't like thinking that we have control over that in our lives and if this drug is released will the world become lopsided to have more men then women or vice-versa?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya I have heard about something similar to do that. Doing like "designer babies" where you can choose what color eyes and hair and all of that. It is beyond creepy to me. Who has the right to get to choose that stuff besides God? And what makes you better for being a blonde or brunette?