You would think that the week of Spring Break I would have all the time in the world and I would have posted all about our bobsledding extravaganza by now but sadly the week flew by and my Spring Break was over before I knew it!!
Dane and I were lucky enough a couple of weeks ago to go bobsledding with a former Olympiad from the SLC games on the Olympic Track in Park City! We got there about an hour early so we took a walk around the grounds and saw a lot of the track. We got to see the skeleton start and the Luge start which I hadn't put it together before but they all merge onto the same track. That was really exciting to see it all before we actually went down it. About an hour before our start time, we headed into the building to get checked in and go through the safely orientation. We were told what to do in case of a roll over and all the precautions we should take. The funny thing was during all of this, I was just getting more and more exciting - I had no nerves and neither did Dane! I think something might be wrong with us! Or our mom's just had all the nerves for us :)
We got our helmets fitted and headed out to the top of the track to wait our turn. In our group we were sled number 3 so they called us to the platform when sled 1 was going and reviewed all the safety stuff again and had us put on our helmets and take off my wedding ring - who would have thought but he said the handles are so close to the side of the sled that it would rub the whole time against the metal sled and that's no good.
We then got into the sled and awaited push off, again no nerves for me, I just had a perma-grin on my face and was ready to go! We headed down the track and at first it was a little 'slow' going and the first few turns weren't bad then we hit 'Turn 4' the first G-Force turn and all I can say is WOW!! It was so incredible! I was sitting right behind the driver and I had been told more then once that when you are in that seat you have to be careful that your head doesn't fly forward in those turns and hit the driver cause that would be a little disastrous so on that turn sure enough my head flew forward from the force but I quickly recovered and concentrated really hard for the rest of the ride to not let it happen again! During the ride down my head kept ricocheting back and forth between the two sides of the sled (thank goodness for the helmet) and I thought for sure it was because I am short but then Dane told me he had the same problem. (I guess it could still be because we are short :) ) We zoomed so fast and all the turns were so fun!! We got to the bottom before I could even believe and the thrill ride of our lives was over!!
During the ride, I somehow got my shoe wedged by the brakes where the driver sits, luckily it didn't affect the brakes whatsoever but I still had to get out of the sled shoeless until the driver could un-wedge it. I couldn't lose my flamingo shoe! I am just glad it didn't fly out of the sled! :)
Sorry this post is so long but I couldn't leave out any detail!! Enjoy our pics...


2 comments:
What? No picture from 1/2 way down the run with your G-Force face on? Isn't that one of the fun parts of any ride - The funny faced picture afterwards?! Sounds like a TON of fun!
WWWWAAAAAAHHHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Post a Comment