Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Famous Logan Pumpkin Walk

This weekend Dane and I decided to go to the Pumpkin Walk that is held every year. We figured we need to do all the Logan traditions while we still live here so we don't miss anything. We picked Friday which was good because it was a pretty warm night, although I still bundled up with my long-johns, mittens and scarf :) We parked at the hospital and took the lovely LTD to the park. There was a huge line to get in so I was getting pretty excited plus there was the cutest little girl in front of us dressed in a frog costume (yes Lindsay I think you need one). We enter the gateway to the pumpkin land and there are a whole bunch of different scenes set up with pumpkins used as props. The first one was Sesame Street and it was pretty creative, it had super Grover flying through the air with his cap and his pumpkin head painted blue. It had Big Bird whose legs were made out of lots of little pumpkins stacked on top of each other. It had a pumpkin popping out of a garbage can that was painted green. I have to admit right off that though this Sesame St scene was cute, it wasn't what I expected. I thought there would be loads of cool carved pumpkins, not just pumpkins used as props. We moved onto the next one and the next one and the one Wal-Mart did was really shabby - i guess it goes along with the store :) There were some good ones like a whole cowboy scene where the pumpkins were hand-painted and looked identical to Clint Eastwood, John Wayne etc, I wish I would have taken some pics just to give you an idea. Anyway it ended and I was a little disappointed but I thought maybe it is more for kids. Then I went to work on Monday and told my co-workers (who are true loganites-born and raised) about it and they said usually they are carved. One of my co-workers went on Monday night and came to work on Tuesday and said this year it was pretty bad. She said it usually isn't so long and it is usually full of carved ones and this year they didn't have any. I was kind of sad because it is a true Logan tradition and we didn't even see it in its full glory! I guess we just might have to stay another year in Logan so we can see what it is usually like :)

1 comment:

Lynette said...

So sorry that the "pumpkin walk" was a bust. I didn't even know that Logan had one. My how things change. I trust that there was no fee to get in.
Lynette (Dane's mom)