Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hawaii!!

We were lucky enough to be invited on a little vacation exertion with Lindsay and Haydn this year to Hawaii!  We weren't sure if we were going to make it since I am in school and we are never sure with Dane's schedule but luckily midterms were right after Hawaii and Dane was able to arrange his schedule so we could go!  We went to Oahu and stayed on a really nice part of the island (thanks again to Lindsay and Haydn!).  It was right by the new Disney resort if anyone knows about that.  The first day we arrived we hung out on the beach and went snorkling in a little lagoon right by our condo, we were lucky enough to have a sea turtle pointed out to us by a fellow snorkeler and it ended up being a little family of three.  Turns out sea turtles are MASSIVE but super friendly.  We were able to see them up close (just ask Lindsay when she almost swam into one when it was coming up for air :) )  That night we headed to the North Shore in search of some good food and did we find it!!  Grass Skirt Grill!  Delicious Hawaiian food, we had coconut shrimp, pulled port and ahi and of course a side of rice and macaroni salad.

The next day we headed out for the touristy stuff since we had some first-timers with us (which really could have been me since the last time I went was when I was 10!)  We hit Pearl Harbor in the morning and it was really different then I remembered.  I think they have made a lot of changes to the museum side of it and we toured a submarine they have anchored there that retired in 1981.  (Really claustrophobic, I could have never been a seaman)  After Pearl Harbor we headed back to the beach by our condo and did some more snorkeling and laying on the nice warm beach.

The third day was Hanauma Bay day!  We ended up being there most the day enjoying the fish and the sun (and a big rain storm that passed through).  I had memories of seeing a scary eel last time I was there and jumping on Andrea's back to try and escape so I was a little leery of that happening again but thank goodness it did not.  After Hanauma we headed to Wakiki (aka the strip minus the card flippers :) )  We had a delicious dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise (which we found out later is on the Vegas strip).  Then took a stroll in the International Market and Crazy Shirts.

The last day (for us at least) we headed to the North Shore again to check out Sunset Beach (where the famous surf competitions take place).  It ended up being pretty stormy that day and rained off and on for us but that didn't deter us from hanging out at the beach for a couple hours.  We also checked out another local food place for lunch and again...DELICIOUS!  In fact, Dane said it might have been the best shrimp he had ever eaten!  So if you are over by North Shore check out Ted's Bakery.  That night Dane and I headed out to catch the red-eye home and arrived back in Vegas in time to start another dreary week of school and work.
Thanks again Lindsay & Haydn - we loved it!


Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to write everything down while I still remembered it!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

I'm glad you two got to go and had a good time. Welcome home!

erin said...

well spent four days! still super jealous! I'll have to live vicariously through your slide show for a while!