Herbie came into my life about 12 years ago and when my dad brought our little turtle home I immediately assumed all turtles are boys and named him Herbie. Shortly thereafter, I went to the local pet store and asked how in the world you take care of a turtle and the helpful worker gave me all the turtle information I could ask for including that this little turtle name Herbie was in fact a girl! Since I had already named her we decided to continue calling her Herbie and have been doing so for 12 years. She has followed me around in all my moves over the years and has been very fun to have around, Dane has even become quite attached to our little Herbie. Last year we lost her for a stint and my heart sank, I was so nervous for her to be out in the wild of Utah during the winter but i came to the resolution that she is a hearty turtle and will survive anything. The day my sister's neighbor found Herbie I was so excited to have her back in our lives. She came with us to Vegas and I figured I needed to take her to the vet because her little beak was starting to get overgrown. Yesterday, I had a lengthy conversation with Dr Todd and he informed me that Herbie is about 12-14 years old (turtles aren't like trees, unfortunately, you can't count the rings to determine age) and that Herbie was growing into a healthy young man. I said "What?!? Herbie is a boy?" and Dr Todd said yes he is, you can tell by the shape of his shell on his belly and under his chin. Needless to say we have probably given our pet some identity crisis issues over the years but now we have it all straightened out. (hopefully)
Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes
13 years ago

3 comments:
Sweet Herbie has been so strong through all of these ordeals :) Boy or girl, we still like him!
I'm glad HE'S doing so well :) I bet he loves bathtime :)
What?!? So even the vets have a hard time determining gender? Good thing you didn't change his name. (;
Post a Comment